The 2014 French Open on Instagram
The Roland Garros (@rolandgarros) tennis tournament, also known as the French Open, has begun with 32 first-round singles matches starting on Sunday. As one of four major grand slams held throughout the year in professional tennis, the clay court tournament has been held in Paris since 1891. The competition is named after Roland Garros, a French aviation pioneer who was a big fan of the eponymous stadium.
Players will compete for the singles and doubles crowns over the next two weeks. The winners of the men’s and women’s singles in 2014 will each receive a €1,650,000 prize, a 10% increase on last year’s awards.
Want to get a first-hand look at the tournament? Be sure to follow these top tennis players on Instagram:
- Men’s World Ranked #1 Novak Djokovic – @djokernole
- Men’s World #2 Andy Murray – @andymurray
- Men’s Doubles #1 Bob Bryan – @bryanbros
- Women’s World #4 Victoria Azarenka – @vichka35
- Men’s World #6 Tomáš Berdych – @tomasberdych
- Men’s World #7 Gael Monfils — @iamgaelmonfils
- Women’s World #1 Serena Williams – @serenawilliams
- ATP, the men’s professional tour – @atpworldtour
- WTA, the women’s professional tour – @WTA