Capturing the Moments of 2013 on Instagram
To see more photos and videos of events from around the world in 2013, browse blog posts with the Current Events tag.
In 2013, people used Instagram to not only document and share the world around them, but also capture some of the most memorable moments of the year.
From opening a window into the clean-up operation in the Philippines following Typhoon Haiyan to hosting the first InstaMeets at the White House and in Russia, here are some of the top moments on Instagram from 2013:
- Catholics bid farewell to Pope Benedict XVI and welcome Pope Francis
- Egyptians gather in Tahrir Square and revolt against President Morsi
- @joemcnallyphoto snaps a #fromwhereistand from atop the Burj Khalifa
- People document the for the US Supreme Court decisions on same-sex marriage in California
- Instagram celebrates the marriage of @robinmay and @matthewjay, the first known couple to wed after meeting on Instagram
- @dguttenfelder, @drewkelly and others share moments from North Korea
- Russia sees its first InstaMeet, as does the White House
- The world welcomes the birth of Prince George, and another celebrity baby makes her debut.
- Michelle Obama joins the #tbt (#ThrowbackThursday) bandwagon
- Kobe Bryant walks again
- People document the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan’s destruction in the Philippines
- Batkid saves San Francisco as crowds document his adventure with the #sfbatkid hashtag
- Crowds gather to mourn the passing of Nelson Mandela and celebrate his life