Year in Review: Instagram in 2012
2012 has been an exciting year for Instagram! From the addition of three new filters, and the launch of Instagram profiles on the web, to Instagram joining the Facebook team, we’ve gone through many exciting changes in the past year. Here’s a recap of some of the best moments for Instagram in 2012:
- The Lux feature was introduced in Instagram 2.0, allowing users to easily transform their photos.
- Three new filters were added to the Instagram filter family; Sierra, Willow, and Mayfair.
- Instagram for Android launched April 3rd, 2012, putting Instagram in the hands of millions of people around the world.
- Instagram joined Instagram! Our official account highlights beautiful photos, interesting users, and amazing locations directly from the community.
- Instagrammers participated in the 4th & 5th World Wide InstaMeets. In March Instagrammers headed out on a photo walk around their city, and in June people from around the world went on an adventure together.
- Instagram joined Facebook! Together we’re continuing to improve, evolve, and build a better experience for sharing photographs.
- Instagram 3.0 introduced a new and unique way to browse photos, called Photo Maps.
- Many users had asked for the ability to see their Instagram profiles on the web, so this year we rose up to the challenge and created a beautiful profile viewing experience.
- Throughout 2012 we made major improvements to the look and feel of Instagram, both in the mobile application and on the web by redesigning the Instagram blog, adding the ability for users to comment, like and follow from the improved web & mobile photo pages, updating the look of application and making improvements to the iOS camera.
In addition to these changes and improvements, we celebrated 2 years since our launch, and saw the community grow to 100 million users & share 5 billion photos.
We would not have had such a great year if it weren’t for the love, support, and feedback from our incredible community; we thank you for an awesome 2012, and we’re excited for what 2013 has in store!